|Rice pilaf with vegetables|
2 medium cups Basmati rice (soaked for two hours in plain water)
1 teaspn salt to taste or as you like
1 cup milk - fresh or evaporated
1 cup water
6-7 shallots (sliced thinly)
4-5 garlic (sliced thinly)
1 inch ginger (sliced thinly)
2-3 star anneseed
some peppercorns (5-6 )
piece of cinnamon stick
2-3 tablespoons of ground jintan manis mixed with dash of water
two large onions cut in slices
1 carrot - sliced about 1 inch length
baby potatoes or 2 medium sized potatoes
cauliflower (cut into small florettes)
two small tomatoes cut in half
oil for frying - ghee is nice but not necessary. You can also use margarine or butter.
Chicken or other meat - to be cut into manageable pieces and fried slightly or until half cooked
1. Fry the onions, ginger, garlic ,cardomom seeds, star aneseeds, cinnamon and jintan manis until light brown.
2. If you are using meat, then you may put in the meat now and fry them together with the above.
3. Mix in the vegetables - fry the harder vegetables first and keep the softer ones for last.
4. Once the potatoes are semi cooked, put in the rice, milk and stir lightly. Keep the flame at low heat.
5. Let the rice boil a bit , then mix in the water. Cover pot and let it simmer until rice looks fluffy and soft.
6. If you have a rice cooker you can also transfer the rice now to the rice cooker so that it can be cooked and left warm.
7. When rice seems done, put in the rest of the vegetables - tomatoes, peas and if you like you can add some raisins.
8. Rice is ready when it looks soft and fluffy, yet grainy. Serve either with chicken curry or dhall as a side dish.
9. Slice some large onions, tomatoes, and cucumber and add a dash of salt and vinegar and a little sugar for a side dish.